Past Exhibitions

Discoveries. The Icons on the Façade of St Barbara‘s Chapel in Markučiai

2019 03 28 – 2019 09 07

From 1903 to 1906, by the efforts of Varvara and Grigory Pushkin, St Barbara’s Chapel was built in the Markučiai manor’s vicinity. The chapel was decorated with nine icons painted on zinc plates hung on its exterior, representing the patron saints of the Melnikov-Pushkin family. The surviving photographs of the chapel show that the icons remained in the façade niches up until the 1950s. Their further fate was unknown until 2017, when seven out of nine images were found on the premises of the Alexander Pushkin Literary Museum. The icons from the chapel’s exterior had to be restored: they were damaged not only by time and climatic conditions, but also by bullets.
The Mission Stations. The Centenary Way of Lithuanian Missionaries

2018 12 13 – 2019 05 03

Exhibition presents the collection "The Mission Station" accumulated by the missionary priest, Father Antanas Saulaitis SJ, his friends and companions. The collection that has been accumulated for half a century consists of more than 2,500 exhibits from various cultures – liturgical implements, household artefacts, objects of personal use, books, printed material, letters, souvenirs, sound and image recordings, and other material – testifying to the century-long activity of Lithuanian missionaries all around the world. More than 150 exhibits have been selected for the exhibition.
Overcome Evil with Good: Blessed Jurgis Matulaitis (1871–1927)

2018 11 06 – 2019 02 02

In 2018, the centenary of the consecration of Servant of God Jurgis Matulaitis (Matulevičius) as Bishop of Vilnius is commemorated. The first Blessed of Lithuanian descent in the twentieth century, Bishop Jurgis always was a pastor of people of all nationalities, religions and social classes, both uniting and renewing the Church. He followed and called other believers to follow Saint Paul’s dictum: Overcome evil with good.
The Antenave. The Last Elevation

2018 10 04 – 2018 11 17

“The Antenave. The Last Elevation” by Gediminas Pranckūnas is the ninth exhibition of photographs by this artist presenting works created in the last two years: 60 images from 45 Catholic churches of Lithuania. The photographs capture the part of the church where one usually does not linger: it is a rather inconspicuous space preceding or adjacent to the main nave, often holding church flags covered with cases, procession altars, random pieces of furniture, mirrors, old rugs, and viewing stands called catafalques.
Our Lady of Trakai – Patroness of Lithuania. Treasury of the Trakai church,...

2018 06 13 – 2018 09 01

The image of Our Lady of Trakai is one of the earliest and most renowned miraculous images in Lithuania. It was the first image in the Grand Duchy of Lithuania to be officially crowned with papal crowns in 1718. In the exhibition, 15th–18th c. treasury of the Trakai church is presented: crowns, frames, votives, liturgical textile, monstrances and other vessels that show the history of veneration of Our Lady of Trakai.





Sponsors

                   

Informational sponsors